Thursday, April 24, 2014

Tahira

In a place where there is a scent of earth with its pure clay. Everybody can smell the sweet scent of ripe fruit.

I was born and raised here, in the middle of that sweet talks and bargains. That was my only cozy home I have ever known.



When my Mom engendered me she decided to name me a pure name like my eyes looked "Tahira".



She said "Tahira will have a pure soul like her eyes." The whole market started talking about me and my innocence, though they decided to call the market "Tahira's farmers' market".



I open my eyes everyday to see faces of hard working farmers, sellers and parents.



At home and with family, I knew what was love, pain and sorrow; I could even see it everyday in their faces.

I thought that life is like my name and the market.



Until recently, those creatures came, they were not human, they were something else. They fought with us for control of the market. Fruits were bullets, and the juice was the blood.



I did not understand who are those people? The sellers said that "they are bullies, and they will come back every weekend". I did not understand what is meant by that word.

However their acts showed what they are. They killed three from us that day, and Darwish lost his right eye.



What I saw was miserable, though it could be bearable. It could be bearable after what I have heard. Two police officers were talking; they were discussing the investigation of the crime. One of them said "never mind, let them kill each other"!

Nesreen Nabil
Cairo, Egypt










No comments:

Post a Comment