Thursday, May 15, 2014

Shaded Beauty!

When I say I’m beautiful, it takes more courage than a dare,
When she says she’s beautiful, their eyes retort with a never ending stare
And gloves became his disguise
The shades hid the insecurity in his eyes
The infamous surgery, yet to be investigated by many
cut open and reveal the soft-spoken perfectionist story

The struggle was real at the age of 10
Dodging mirrors, hiding from this new reality
On my knees pleading, Lord please make me normal again
I promise… and I promise… and I promise… Amen!
Then I sleep,
eyes open it was morning,
Towards the mirror I went, and this tad bit of hope I felt
Look up, Crushed, must I FACE this day again?
Ignorance is innocent… they became relentless
Ignorance is guilty… Miss, I thought you were intelligent?
Sir, why do you stare, I can feel your eyes delving into my empty soul

When garbage has become your synonymous,
Creep in the corner, hoping they wouldn't notice
Like wolves, they smell fear,
you little twit, come here!

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but stares flustered me
Discombobulated me,
Clustered me
Provoked the downright hell outta me,
Is there something to see, do I look like a figurine?
And yes words did hurt me!

Life was never the same,
Life isn’t the same,
Life will never be the same
As the shade of white
A spot, a mark creeps in 3 stages
powered by the loss of melanin, caused by cells
each reality, similar story

Thoughts to hurt Me
Left side nudges GO, right side screaming NO
Peace of mind, can I have a piece of your mind?
How do you love flawed perfection?
How do you walk and not stare at the ground
Against your skin the continuous piercing of their eyes
Curious is innocent
Curious is the bully,
shhhh, be quiet, do not open your mouth,
It is evident that your statement will dispatch a clear context of your need to be literate

Flawed perfection, you are God’s creation,
Carved, molded, the right dose in oxymoron
Try his eyes, through it you’ll see
You are the difference in beauty

Duel at the challenge at what the world assumes
How do you walk and not stare to the ground
The clear lack in confidence
Pretend you are on the cover of Vogue magazine
Who would the world perceive, weak or insistent

Insistent on being stronger
On being determined
On being wiser
Against the plague of the mind
To belittle your shine
The naivety behind it all,
The shallowness of them all
Retort with a strut, prep the click or the knock on the ground
Shoulders up, dispatch the confidence blaring

Arise from the shame
Stare in the mirror
Peek, find your soul
No longer empty, but consumed
This little light of mine
Rearrange the puzzle
Stare at the glare
Turn that frown upside down
There is no flaw in the perfection
Look closely
Can you feel
Can you tell
Have you seen
The art of beauty is the beholder… Smile!

This poem was written to inspire those diagnosed with Vitiligo. You are Great Looking, just

shaded, that’s all ...
By- Diana M. Williams “Made To Write…”

No comments:

Post a Comment